If you’ve never heard of Tim Ferriss before, you’re about to learn a whole lot about him right now. He’s the author of The 4-Hour Workweek and The 4-Hour Chef, both books overviewing the best methods of achieving your dreams and discussing concepts related to self-improvement.
Tim Ferriss also has a strict health regimen that he follows to maintain optimal health year-round. So, we’re going to go over the different types of smart-drugs (aka, nootropics) that Tim Ferriss uses and how they can be beneficial to use. For each nootropic, we either tried to find the exact product Tim Ferriss has recommended in the past or the best equivalent we could find.
What Are Nootropics?
Nootropics are basically any natural supplement that’s used to benefit the health in some way, usually used in reference to “biohacking.” Biohacking is treating your body as a system and experimenting to enhance your mental, physical, or emotional health.
Instead of having to visit the doctor, undergo tons of medical testing, or adjust to new prescription medications, nootropics are designed to help with many medical issues and conditions. Most seem to focus on cognitive factors, but physical aspects of health can be addressed too.
What Tim Ferriss Uses
The goal of Tim Ferriss’ nootropics regimen is to focus on the short-term rather than the long-term. As we begin to go through them, you’ll begin to notice that the supplements he uses focus on all areas of health, not just physical or mental. He made a video of his regimen here, but we reviewed it and took notes on his favorite nootropics, so that you don’t have to.
Remember, you don’t need to add each of these nootropics to improve your health, but each will improve an aspect of your health in some way. So, let’s take a look at some of the nootropics you might want to add to your routine.
Creatine & Ubiquinol (aka, Coenzyme Q10)
Creatine has tons of positive health effects on the body, most specifically related to physical fitness. This supplement is often used by professional athletes and bodybuilders to enhance performance, encourage muscle recovery, and boost muscle growth.
On the other hand, creatine is also recognized for its ability to target brain health. When taken consistently, creatine is known to improve brain processes and even reduce the symptoms of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease.
Ubiquinol, also known as Coenzyme Q10, is known for enhancing several areas of the human body. In particular, CoQ10 is recognized for its ability to maintain healthy blood sugar levels while simultaneously boosting heart health.
The Best Creatine and Ubiquinol Products
Since it’s difficult to find a combination of both creatine and ubiquinol, you’ll need to purchase each individually. Here’s a look at the best products of both.
- 5 grams pure creatine monohydrate per serving
- Supports increases in energy, endurance & recovery
- Maximum potency supports muscle size, strength, and power
- Supreme absorbency micronized to get the most out of each dose
- Unflavored can be mixed in your favorite beverage with ease - Product does not come with a scoop
Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Monohydrate Powder is one of the best creatine products out there. It has no flavoring and easily mixes into water or your favorite beverage, supplying 120 5-gram servings per container. This product is incredibly cost-effective and will definitely improve your overall physique and mental focus.
If you prefer to drink your beverages without added supplements, then you might want to go for creatine capsules like the MET-Rx Creatine 4,200 supplement. Each bottle comes with 240 servings and might be a little easier to chug down than a powder mix.
Qunol Mega Ubiquinol 100mg CoQ10 is the go-to option for getting your daily ubiquinol intake. Each soft gel contains about 100 milligrams of ubiquinol and excels when it comes to absorption within the body. This product is loaded with antioxidants, heart health benefits, and a fast-acting formula to enhance your health now.
Lion’s Mane is actually a mushroom that’s been used for centuries (maybe even longer) as a way to boost mental performance and functioning. In addition to brain effects, Lion’s Mane is also credited for improving mental health disorders like anxiety and depression while also targeting heart health and a strong immune system.
Lion’s Mane is often consumed in the form of tea, sometimes even combined with Chaga mushroom and instant coffee to further enhance the effects. You should be able to see some noticeable health benefits by drinking Lion’s Mane tea two to three times a week. There are also Lion’s Mane capsules that can be consumed daily.
The Best Lion’s Mane Products
Since there are so many different types of Lion’s Mane out there, we’re going to include products that can be included in all sorts of ways. So, here are some of the better products out there right now.
- NOTE: Packaging May Vary. Manufacturer has updated the packaging, but the formulation is exactly the same.
- POWER ON CREATIVE FOCUS: Half the caffeine, double the mental clarity; Mushroom coffee mix with organic instant coffee & 500mg of organic Lion’s Mane + Chaga mushroom powder
- MEMORY, CONCENTRATION, FOCUS: Organic Lion’s Mane mushroom is a natural nootropic shown to support memory, focus & concentration; Recognized for its support of cognitive function, Lion’s Mane...
- IMMUNE SUPPORT: Four Sigmatic mushroom coffee has organic chaga mushroom, with antioxidant properties to support immune function & well-being; Plus organic rhodiola root, to help fight stress
- PERFECT FOR ALL DIETS: Perfect for our vegan, paleo, keto, dairy free or gluten-free friends; Only natural organic ingredients; No carriers, fillers, natural flavors or artificial flavors; All...
Four Sigmatic Instant Mushroom Coffee With Lion’s Mane is Tim Ferriss’s personal choice and offers tons of unique health benefits. In this organic, keto, and no-sugar formula, you’ll be getting a high-quality tea that infuses the benefits of both Lion’s Mane and Chaga. Plus, it’s easy to brew and the instant coffee will give you an impressive energy boost mid-day.
Four Sigmatic Lion Mane’s Elixir is similar to the product we just went over, but it doesn’t include the instant coffee (or the energy boost). Though it has no caffeine, it does include more than enough Lion’s Mane to boost your focus and mental productivity.
Yerba mate is an all-natural tea that actually comes from South America. This tea is absolutely loaded with immune-boosting antioxidants while also providing enhanced mental focus and energy. The benefits don’t just stop there.
Yerba mate is also known for keeping blood sugar levels under control and encouraging weight loss (or just a healthy weight). By adding yerba mate to your daily routine, you can greatly improve nearly every aspect of your health.
However, how you actually drink the yerba mate will determine just how effective it really is. The most popular way involves using a gourd packed tight with yerba mate leaves. Just fill the gourd with a little hot water and use a bombilla to sip. Add a little more hot water and repeat.
Yerba mate also comes in pre-packaged mixed drinks, though the actual concentration of yerba mate in these beverages might not be as high as the tea.
The Best Yerba Mate Products
- The package length of the product is 9. inches
- The package width of the product is 6. inches
- The package height of the product is 3. inches
- Country of origin is United States
Cruz de Malta Yerba Mate is a perfect choice if you enjoy a genuine cup of yerba mate tea. This tea does have some sticks in it, however, meaning you will have to use a gourd to drink it. Each package is about 1 kilogram, which is more than enough to last you a while.
Yachak Yerba Mate Drink is a solid “on-the-go” option to get your yerba mate. Each package comes in a 12-pack of 15.5-ounce cans, meaning you should be good to go for a few weeks. Each can has about 160 milligrams of caffeine per serving, providing the perfect energy boost.
You can also read more about our top Yerba Mate choices here.
Ketones are chemicals naturally produced by the body when blood sugar levels are low. With a greater amount of ketones in your bloodstream, your body depends on ketones as a source of energy and metabolic improvement.
Exogenous ketones come from outside the body and are used to encourage a state of ketosis. These supplements are a rather simple way of boosting your ketone levels and encouraging fat loss and burning.
The Best Ketone Products
There are several different types of synthetic ketones, each with its own benefits. So, we’re going to break down the products that Tim Ferriss uses and how each can benefit your health in its own way.
- PREMIUM KETO PERFORMANCE: Our Ketone formula contains Beta Hydroxybutyrate (BHB) created specifically for the ketogenic lifestyle. BHB Salts help you achieve ketosis, allowing you to perform at your...
- KETO AND PALEO FRIENDLY: Our Keto Products are perfect supplements for those on the paleo or keto diet. Create great tasting keto drinks for ketosis and get that daily energy boost you need to stay on...
- BHB EXOGENOUS KETONES FOR PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE: Our premium KetoCaNa supplement is versatile. Add to your pre workout supplements for that natural, keto energy. An exogenous ketones supplement with a...
- MENTAL KETO FUEL: Our ketone supplement acts as a natural energy supplement. Get instant ketones with our exogenous ketones powder. Just simply mix into water or your favorite beverage for a ketosis...
- KETO POWDER FOR DIET SUPPORT: Boost ketones and suppress your appetite to promote keto supplement diet support. Create a delicious beverage with our KetoCaNa keto drink mix.
KetoSports KetoCaNa is a powder supplement that’s easily mixed with water and designed specifically for people attempting a ketogenic diet. The best part is that it tastes like orange or strawberry lemonade, so this is one of those rare health supplements that actually tastes good. With this supplement, you’ll be able to boost your energy and mental performance.
KetoSports KetoForce is a product that’s literally just ketones, free of flavors, sugars, and added ingredients. This product combines both sodium and potassium to create a supplement that enhances weight loss, encourages greater mental functioning, and aids in athletic performance as well. To get the best results, mix it with lemon or grapefruit juice.
Additional Supplements Tim Ferriss Uses
You can get by with many products advertised online or on Amazon, but there are certain products you’ll have to buy directly from biotechnology or chemical companies. For example, Tim Ferris uses 1,3-Butanediol and sodium-potassium, both of which aren’t typically available from the average manufacturer.
Either way, let’s go over the key benefits of both. 1,3-Butanediol has proven to increase ketone bodies within your system. Sodium/potassium are both considered electrolytes and are extremely important with a ketogenic diet. The combination of these two nutrients allows the heart to continue functioning as normal while also preventing the dreaded “keto flu.”
Final Thoughts on Tim Ferriss’ Nootropics Regimen
If you want to improve your health and fitness, it might be a good idea to add nootropics to your routine. They’re incredibly effective at boosting physical and mental health without requiring all the necessary steps that other methods involve.
To get the most out of your health with nootropics, consider adding the following to your routine from Tim Ferriss’ nootropics regimen:
And if you’d like to read more about products Tim Ferriss recommends, you can check out our Athletic Greens review here.